95 Explorer fuel problem

This is so weird. It's an intermittent problem, but a scary one.

I will be driving along, sometimes on surface streets, sometimes on the freeway --- when all of a sudden, the engine dies, the red light comes on and there is no power. I tried dropping into neutral but it won't turn over. All I can do is roll to a stop (which is rather scary on the freeway).

I put it in park and it cranks but won't turn over. If I leave it alone for 30 seconds to one minute, it starts up without any problem and off I go. Until the next time. I thought it was the grade of gas, so I went up a grade from regular to mid-grade. Same thing.

I am thinking it might be the fuel filter, but it's just a wild guess.

Can anyone help me solve this potentially dangerous problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
Cathy

First, can we reconcile "I put it in park and it cranks but won't turn over"? I assume this is "cranks but wont start...."

It appears that you are assuming that this is a fuel problem with no diagnostics being applied at this time. The vewry first thing would be a visual inspection to discover any obvious concerns. Next, we would scan for codes.... Be aware that "free" code scans can only check memory codes... Better yet are shops that can do a "Quick Test" that will gather On Demand codes both with the engine off and, if needed, with the engine running.

This sort of concern will likely take a fairly talented tech to diagnose in a timely manner and wont break the bank. First step is to find what is "missing" (fuel?, spark?, injector pulse?) in those brief seconds where the car wont restart....

Reply to
Jim Warman

How the heck do you find what's "missing" when this only happens only occasionally? And then, only briefly.

Does this problem sound familiar to you (or anyone)? I was hoping it was symptomatic of a clogged gas filter.

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Cathy

I had a simular problem. I found I needed to replace the modulator. This part replaced distributor cap/carburator. Follow the spark plug wires going to it, on top and center of the engine. I hope this helps. Reset the computer after replacemnet by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes.

Best Regards, Trejas

Reply to
Trejas