96 Lincoln problem (experts needed)

Replace the plug wires.

Reply to
pick one

As pick one has said, you can try a set of wires.... given the age of the vehicle, they should be changed as preventive maintenance, anyway. The flashing MIL indicates a severe misfire... continuing to drive the car when this occurs can damage the engine and/or the catalytic converter.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

yup and i bet it will overheat too

hurc ast

Reply to
3 dog nite

I have a 96 Lincoln Mark 8 LSC 32 valve 4.6 litre. It started running extremely rough the other day and the check engine light flashes constantly. There is a strong sulfuric odor in the passenger compartment when accelerating.

I have already replaced the spark plugs to no avail. All eight cylinders are receiving spark from the coil, however, when I remove the wire from number 3 it didn't make any difference in the idle. When the wire was removed from any of the other plugs, the car nearly dies. The strange thing is that the coil IS generating spark to number 3. I have replaced the number 3 injector and I still have the problem. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before. I am puzzled. Thanks!

Reply to
Al Yoakem

Apparently, overheating is not a stated customer concern.... What you really need to do is take that piece of cardboard from behind the grille..... Once you graduate fromt he lube rack, you might be able to afford a peak in the Lund catalogue.

FWIW..... I've seen many plugged cats..... no power - low power - wont rev - wont run - nary an overheat to be seen.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Perhaps 3 dog nite meant that the catalyic convertor may overheat.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff