I have a 96 Lincoln Mark 8 LSC 32 valve 4.6 litre.
It started running extremely rough the other day and the check engine light
flashes constantly. There is a strong sulfuric odor in the passenger
compartment when accelerating.
I have already replaced the spark plugs to no avail.
All eight cylinders are receiving spark from the coil, however, when I
remove the wire from number 3 it didn't make any difference in the idle.
When the wire was removed from any of the other plugs, the car nearly dies.
The strange thing is that the coil IS generating spark to number 3. I have
replaced the number 3 injector and I still have the problem. Has anyone
ever experienced anything like this before. I am puzzled. Thanks!
As pick one has said, you can try a set of wires.... given the age of the
vehicle, they should be changed as preventive maintenance, anyway. The
flashing MIL indicates a severe misfire... continuing to drive the car when
this occurs can damage the engine and/or the catalytic converter.
Apparently, overheating is not a stated customer concern.... What you really
need to do is take that piece of cardboard from behind the grille..... Once
you graduate fromt he lube rack, you might be able to afford a peak in the
FWIW..... I've seen many plugged cats..... no power - low power - wont rev -
wont run - nary an overheat to be seen.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.