97 Winstar Codes PO171 PO174

Hardware Serial: 0051028052

Check Engine Light: ON

Time Since Codes Cleared:

Reply to
Joe's Newsgroup

Pull the Idle Air Control Valve and clean inside it with something like throttle body or brake rotor cleaner. That will cause a rough (or no) idle while cold, and generally smooth out some once warmed up. I've had minimal success cleaning them; they usually only last a short while before I end up replacing them, usually about a month. That should be long enough to see if that's your problem, or at least contributing to it.

Using cleaner designed for it, clean the MAF, especially the sensor. It looks like a little glass diode. Be very gentle; these are expensive to replace if something gets bent out of shape or broken.

Another problem that seemed to be prevalent on the early V6 Escapes was the the vacuum lines from the PCV and EGR would collapse when warm, throwing those codes. But that was usually after warming up, not so much when cold. I don't know if the Windstars had that problem or not, but might be worth looking at.

The P1000 code is somewhat of a BS code- it just means that there have not been enough drive cycles since the battery was disconnected or a reset was done. It's not really a trouble code, just informational (kind of).

Reply to
SC Tom

Runs rough at idle, but seems to be Ok when throttle is opened any more.

Cannot find vacuum leaks, all appears to be ok. Changed plugs because they needed to be changed.

AutoTap Diagnostic - Version 3.10 Date: 6/5/2011 8:39:25 PM Hardware Serial: 0051028052

Check Engine Light: ON

Time Since Codes Cleared:

Reply to
Jim Northey