98 Ford Contour Se (audio problem)

Yes I know it has been said before, however I've did all solutions; and or the solution was vague.

I have a 98 Ford Contour it has a Premium Sound Stereo system. I recently took out my old cd player and got a new one. I got the wiring harness, and the FAI-3A Scoshe adapter for factory amp. I've checked all wires and everything seems in place. I've actually changed my wiring harness since I thought it was the problem at first.

THE PROBLEM

I can only get sound on the passenger side. Never the driver side. I tested my cd player - it works perfectly fine . How I know?

I switched the leads to see if the left would play on the right side. They do! I switched the left front and keep the right back the same. When I moved the balance from left to right the right front (which is actually left front) was fully on and when I moved it to the right the back right was fully on. I also switched the right side completely with the left wires (this is from the adapter) everything works.

Why doesn't my driver side work?

Reply to
ExKArt

From here it doesn't read like you are using a meter so try this work around. Disconnect all speaker wires from the radio or amplifier. Grab a

1.5V battery, identify your speaker pairs, hold one of the speaker leads at the bottom (-) of the battery and scratch the other lead to the positive (+) pole. Try this with one of the working speaker pairs so you can recognize the click - thump - scratching sound. and continue on to the problem speaker. If the drivers door speaker doesn't sound the same you've narrowed it down to the wiring or the speaker in the door. You can test directly to the speaker with a jumper wire, look for a broken wire at the hinge area of the door, check for new misplaced sheet metal screws or run a new pair from the amplifier to the speakers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

thanks for the reply Bill, however I skipped this part (cheecking each speaker) because I plugged up my old player and ALL of my speakers worked perfectly fine. When I connect my new player only the right hand side comes on I checked the player by attaching the left back to the right back and leavinng the right front the same. WHen I did the balance from middle to left to right the the correct speakers were applied. So the player is fine. I changed my adapters in case they were defective. I even tested the connection between the adapters to the final factory speaker adapter.

I have a question is there a fuse or anything that only effects one side of the speakers? I don't know

I don't want to cut my factory speaker adapter to check each speaker, but If I have to then...... Any other tips?

Thank you for the quick response

Reply to
ExKArt

I found the problem. The reason why it will not work is because of the amp. It's not broken.

I took regular speaker from my house hooked them up (directly to the cd player) to the left side and cut the car on. The speakers came on!

I didn't know (nor did they say) that the leads coming from the player are already amplified. I 'm guessing the hook up to the amp and back only allows that right side?

Anyways I'm using the Metra Amp bypass and everything works fine, for now.

Reply to
ExKArt