98 Taurus Cigarette Lighter shorted

Hi, The cigarrete lighter in my 98 Taurus SE keeps blowing fuses. I checked it with a meter and it appears there is a short to ground. I pulled the actual receptacle off and it seems ok so I think the short is in the wiring itself. The problem is the fuse box is a bear to get at and there is only a few inches of wire accessible at the lighter end. It is getting to be a pain not being able to charge my phone while in the car so I'd like to fix this if possible. So, here are a few questions:

  1. Any one seen this before and could maybe help narrow the problem down?

  1. Any suggestions on finding the short?

  2. Would it just be easier to rewire and if so how do I go about that? (Fuse box taps? splice into some other wire?) I'm pretty good with electronics but not very familar with auto wiring.

  1. Any place i can obtain a wiring diagram? Would Chilton's have it? I can access one of those at the local library?

  2. Any other suggestions or help?

Thanks!

Reply to
Rick

Rick opined in news:3F4Pa.23409$H17.7525@sccrnsc02:

Swap out the lighter socket first. It's cheap and not worth the hassle of troubleshooting everything else..

Just make sure the ground wire goes to the barrel.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic