98 Van Blinkers Hazzards X'd

98 E250 Van. Turn signals just stopped working...no blinking lights on the outside, no blinking on the dash. Checked the fuses, all okay. I think it started when I tried to put on the hazzards...turn signals stopped working after that. If I hold down the Hazzard switch really hard, then the turn signals work.

Could this be as simple as a faulty hazzard switch? Any possible solutions? Can just the hazzard switch be replaced or (with my luck) do I have to buy a whole new steering mechanism for $5000?

Thanks!

DS

Reply to
David Sandberg

This happened (just one side) with the 88 Pontiac station wagon I used last year. It turned out, on that car, that one of the two bulbs on that side's tail light was burned out.

That sounds reasonable to me, but I really don't know.

AFAIK the switches in the steering column can be replaced. However labor is rather costly due to the work needed to get in there. (well, a certain shop told me dad they wouldn't even dare try repairing the P/N switch on his 83 Clubwagon, back in the day, because of the many small parts in the mechanism)

HTH,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

============================= is the hazard switch on top of the column? If so, spray some wd-40 inside it (slowley through the top )and work the switch off and on about 50 times. It will most likely come back to life.

Reply to
Scott M