1988 chevy g20 van ignition problem.

Got the van a few months ago for dirt cheap and everything worked perfectly. About 2 weeks ago the ignition started acting funny. What I mean is the heater blower and windows would sometimes not work until I jiggled the key. Well, yesterday even this trick stopped working. Check fuses and everything is fine. Radio, turn signals and power locks still work as expected. I have a GM elctrical manual but it is for a 1990 g20 and I'm still not sure if they are close to the same. Anyone have any suggestions to help locate the problem? Maybe any info on ignition switch troubleshooting, which is what I suspect it could be.

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian Lichty

The ACTUAL IGNITIOM SWITCH is way Down near the Bottom of The Steering Column.. controled by a Small Rod ( wire) leading Down from Where you insert The Actual Key !!

Well, yesterday even this trick stopped working. Check

Reply to
Santa

You need to ck battery connections and fuseble link on firewall. I have seen some fusible links work as you say intermittantly. If those are good chances are its the switch.

Reply to
Randd01

Brian,

If jiggling the key fixed it before and now it doesn't, I'd say it's pretty obvious yer' IGN switch is shot to hell.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"