Aerostar Oil Pressure Indicator

My 97 Aerostar oil pressure gauge shows about 3/4 of full scale. I'm used to seeing other Aerostars register around mid-scale. I've never seen oil pressure go high before. Is 3/4 too high? Any idea on what causes a higher than normal oil pressure?

Reply to
Fred

Nothing to worry about, since the gauge is almost certainly a fake, being driven by a snap switch, same as a red idiot light. If you're truly concerned about engine oil pressure, install an aftermarket gauge.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Reply to
Fred

if you do want to see relative pressure, the usual fix on earlier 90's model fords was to pull cluster, solder a wire across the 20 ohm resistor near oil gauge terminals and replace the switch sender with a variable resistor version.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Both of my 3.0 Aerostars ran well above half at cruise - where I like to see it. I ran 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in summer.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thanks fellers!! I did pay more attention to the gauge today and it stayed right on the same spot, no matter what the RPM was.

Reply to
Fred

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

Sounds like a good idea. Reckon this would work on a 97?

Reply to
Fred

pull the cluster and see if there's a resistor

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

See this write-up:

Sharon K.Cooke