Antifreeze schedule

just had my wife take in our taurus 2001 for an antifreeze flush & fill. it's been about 3 years before i realized it "was overdue". i have always thought that the recommended schedule was two years.

while my wife was having it done i downloaded the owners maintenance schedule and it stated 45,000 miles (car is not a diesel). our mileage was around 46,000 so i felt relieved that i hadn't neglected it.

i thought the antifreeze "breaks down" over time and not mileage hence the old "2 year schedule".

is mileage the new way (i.e. the antifreeze holds up better over time) or what?

also, what is the difference between the various colors (green, orange, yellow). i think ours might be the green but i 'm not totally sure. does the color effect the schedule?

thanks!

Reply to
gary

Jack Maloney