AOD shift kit / high-rev governor questions

Hi, I've got a 89 Crown Vic police package with 351W 5.8L and AOD.

Tranny have been completely rebuilted 1 year ago, and I've added a small shift-kit for firm shifts. I already have an additional trans cooler, external to the one already present in the radiator. I've got a torque converter stalling at 2500rpm.

With the police package, my shift pattern is "P R N OD D 2" (Lo "1" doesn't exist like in most AOD transmissions). When I put in "2", is starts ans stays in 2nd speed. So when I want to race, I can't lock to the first speed. I must let the shifter to "D" and wait for automatic shifts...

The problem : Stock AOD's shifts at 4200~4400rpm, which is too slow. I want a higher shift range (~5500rpm).

I've heard about an high speed governor that could increase the shift point to 5500~6000rpm. Will this interfere with my existing shift-kit? Where could I buy a similar kit? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot ____________ Jeremie Bedard

Jérémie Bédard

Start in "D". As soon as the automatic shift from first to 2nd occurs, put the selector in "2"... then shift up to 3 ("D") & 4 ("OD") manually at your desire. If you still need to be in 1st longer, than you will have to explore internal transmission options...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

That's why I'm posting... I need help about internal transmission options. When I race, it's only 1/8mi. I need performance at low speed. I don't even need the Overdrive for 1/8mi. The 1st speed is more important.

Thanks anyway Jeremie

Reply to
Jérémie Bédard