AOD upgrades questions

Hello to all. I have a minor leak in the rear main seal of my 90 GT with AOD. Since the tranny has to be removed to change the seal, I figured this would be a good time to upgrade my torque converter. Over the years I've tried to learn as much about them as possible, and after all that and taking into account my driving habits I've decided to get one that's pretty close to the stock stall. The main reason I'd want one is for the stronger build. If I get a bit of extra power from it then good, but at this point I really just want to add strength to the transmission. There is already a shift kit and aux. fluid cooler which have been on it for years. I got literature from Art Carr, Precision Industries, and B&M. Each seems to offer something to suit me, so I'm wondering if any of you have had personal experience with any of these brands, good or bad? One more question.... I've always liked the appearance of that auto shifter by B&M. I think it's called the Ripper, or something like that. Still, I cannot tell from reading info on it if I can still use it like the stock shifter, or if it requires me to use it differently. Does anyone have info on it to share?

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Randy

90 GT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

Hey Randy, I don't know a whole lot about the converters, but from what I hear there is no other way to go than precision industrues. They are a little expensive, but supposedly the best. I remember riding in my friends '94 vert, it was a DOG off the line. Then he put a PI stallion in it, it really woke the car up a ton. IIRC, it knocked of .3 in the quarter and he went from 15.0 to 14.7 or something similar. If I had the $$$$, I would buy a PI converter for my truck. As for the shifter, I had the B&M shifter in my '91 with the AOD. I liked it alot. It felt like more of a performance car with just the shifter believe it or not, the stock shifter is junk, lol. It is alot different though and takes a little getting used to. The shifter actually stays in one position, you just pull it up or down(depending where you want to go) and it shifts into the appropriate gear and then ratchets itself back to the center. If you want to go from OD to first, you would pull it back once, let it ratchet back, then pull it back again and let it go back, then you would be in first. Then you can launch hard, when the time comes slam the shifter up and you can hit it as hard as you want, but it'll only go to second since it only ratchets once. Its kinda hard to explain, but maybe now you have at least a little idea. I know if I get another AOD, that will be one of my first mods. Plus it just looks cool with the chrome handle and leather boot. Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Reply to
razz