Brake Light And Car Not Moving Problem ?

Hello:

My son has a '95 Mercury Sable with about 85,000 miles on it. Lives quite a distance away, so will have to try and relate the following problem as described via phone.

Intermittent problem; sometimes all is normal;

He releases the Parking Brake handle. The Parking Brake light does Not go out.

If he then puts the car in Drive, all that happens is the motor will race. "Playing" with it, back and forth (brake release and selector), finally the light extinguishes. Car then goes normally.

Also, sometimes at a traffic light, or when stopped, the light comes On when you push the gas pedal down, and the car won't accelerate, until the light goes off. Reving in Park usually makes the light go off.

a. Any thoughts as to what might be going on ?

b. Does the brake light sensor/switch communicate with the car's computer, and inhibit movement of the car ?

c. Might it be a computer problem ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Robert11 opined in

Thats a new one for me... But it seems to me that he HAS to fix the switch at the parking brake handle before we can go further.

That JUSt may fix the problem..

news:xzN4b.18048$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic