Broken Lug Bolt Safety Question

Two part question: (97 T-Bird)

1st part: Broke a lug bolt on front wheel and am now using only four lug nuts until I can get it fixed. How urgent is the need to repair?

2nd Part: With this car, do I need to replace the whole hub or can I knock out the broken bolt and install a new one? TIA

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Replace the bolt forthwith before you kill yourself.

mike hunt

"F.H." wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

The broken wheel stud is not TERRIBLY critical, but get it fixed ASAP. The stud is replaceable without replacing the hub.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
BIG-EV

Well, at least I can now rationalize procrastination. :)

Reply to
F.H.

BIG-EV opined in news:cvgKc.81662$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

THAT IS JUST STUPID!

If they broke off one stud (ON EACH HUB?!!!), they induced microscopic stress fractures on the rest.

So when and if you get in a skid and side forces are induced on the remaining lugs, what reason is there to assume some or all wont break in their weakened state?

People amaze me.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ive been driving around for years on just 1 stud per wheel. Never hurt anything so far.... -scroll down-

Just kidding, replace the stupid $2 stud, at least you'll know you have 1 good one!

Reply to
Scott M