Check Engine Light - 97 Aerostar

If he scans it now he will get the code. If he keeps driving for a few days and the light goes out he knows it was the cap - but he likely knows it because HE left it off . So it's a no-brainer.

Reply to
clare

Yes, but he could also twist the cap a few more clicks because the Check Engine light is on and think that he cured the problem. Maybe he read somewhere that the Check Engine light usually comes on because the gas cap is not seated properly, which is true but ignores the hundreds of other reasons that the Check Engine light might come on.

He could scan for codes, but he refuses to acquire a scan tool. If he had the scan tool, he could reset the computer and turn the Check Engine light off, and all of this discussion would never happen.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Until the light comes back on because tightening the cap didn't solve the problem - - -

Last time I had an evap related check engine light it was because SWMBO left the cap off when she filled up with fuel.

Reply to
clare

it wouldn't apply to an ancient beast like a 97 A-Star but on modern vehicles the PCM will run a quick-test on the EVAP after each "refueling event". That's how the those new gas cap lights get triggered vs. the regular CEL.

the more ya know!

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

From '96 on up even the Aerostar worked that way. (All OBD2)

Reply to
clare

If you have a 1996 Aerostar with a "Check Fuel Cap" light in the dash I wanna see it.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I bought one of the code readers, then (after trying Torque Free), I spent the $5 and bought Torque Pro for my tablet. This combination is pretty awesome :-) I haven't gone real deep into the settings, but it looks like it'll read just about anything on my '14 Escape. This description shows what the Pro version will do, and then some:

Plus, if you're brave, there are plenty of hacked versions that'll purportedly do all kinds of things on top of the "real" version (I'm not that brave when it comes to reprogramming a new car :-) ).

Reply to
SC Tom

All 1996 and 1997 Aerostars have a Chck Engine Light that will turn on if you drive with the gas cap loose, missing, ar faulty. Just like EVERY OTHER OBD2 equipped vehicle.

Reply to
clare

yeah, no shit, and they DO NOT have the Check Gas Cap light like newer vehicles. (like I already said)

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

NLQAHS

For us prehistoric types who don't have a smart phone, does anyone know if there is anything like this for wired or wireless computer access?

Reply to
Guv Bob

corrected. How can I reset the light without disconnecting the battery or using the diagnostic tool?

After driving for a couple of weeks, the light went out. Then a few days later came back on. Then a couple days later went off again. I will venture down to the auto parts place today and get the code. Yes, I don't like rushing into anything. LOL!!

Reply to
Guv Bob

My tablet is Android, but with the program CD is an installation for a PC. I was going on vacation before I could try that out on my laptop, and I just got back today. If I get a chance, I'll try it out in the next couple of days and let you know how it works on my Win8.1 laptop. You still need Bluetooth, though.

Reply to
SC Tom