Alternator Bearing

My alternator is squealing like a banshee but charges fine. I presume the bearing is about to go FUBAR. It is a NipponDenso 90 amp original on a 94 YJ 2.5L. Does anyone know of a replacement strategy for the bearing as neither the Chilton nor Haynes manuals show a breakdown for bearing replacement. Ooh, I guess a part number for the bearing would be an added bonus too! As always, all help is appreciated! Marty

Reply to
Marty

I would first verify that the belt is the right tension and not polished up from road dust or mud.

I test mine by having a cold off engine and trying to see if I can spin the alternator pulley by hand. If I can make it hand slip, the belt has issues. The alternator takes several HP to spin up under load and if the pulley can hand slip, it will never grab right.

I used to go through 3 belts a year when playing in the mud. Freaking liquid sandpaper.

If you check your local auto parts store, you might be able to find a rebuild kit for it. I have one for my Delco and it has a bearing, brushes, springs and regulator/diode packs. I believe it was in the low twenty dollar range.

The bearing is a press fit, the biggest bitch is getting the pulley off.

Mike

Mike Romain

People used to rebuild these all the time, but it has gone out of fashion. The last time I went into Autozone and asked for a set of bearings and a brush kit, the kid behind the counter acted like I was walking on water. I recommend replacing at least both bearings and the brushes at the same time.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Brushes in an alternator??? I used to rebuild generators with brushes. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Haven't rebuilt a generator with brushes but I've rebuilt an old dremmel and a mixer that used them. Bloody hard to find brushes these days.

As for alternators, I just take them to a local shop and swap out for a rebuilt. Long time ago I needed a rebuid but they didn't have one in stock. So they offered to teach me how to rebuild it and all I had to do was pay for the parts. :) That was a no-brainer.

Reply to
DougW

Alternators still have to have 'something' to pick up the spinning center. Brushes still work quite well for that....

The company that makes the kit I have is called Victory Lap.

Mike

Mike Romain

Still available through Parts America.

billy ray

Brushes for the slip rings. They don't wear down nearly as fast as commutator brushes in a generator.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to