74 beetle rear wheel bearing replacement question

Hi there,

Doing my first rear wheel bearing replacement on a friends 74 beetle. No real problems so far, just had to stop for the day because of rain. We have the axle stub out, bearing cover off. Ran into a slight snag...

Is there an easy way to get the oil seal out of the bearing cover? It seems to have melded with the inside of the cover and really doesn't want to come out. I have an entire bearing kit so I have a pair of new oil seals that I want to install, and the original seal is now kinda butchered from us trying to get it out so we're committed. Is it just a matter of cutting/scraping the old one out?

Once that's done, we'll tackle everything behind the big circlip and hopefully put everything back together tomorrow.

Thanks! Chris.

Reply to
Lamprey

Yeah, butcher the old one out. Get a small blade (screwdriver/chisel) between the seal and housing and pry.

See this page on my web site for more (which you probably already know):

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote in news:wB9Bg.1224$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Kinda thought so, just wanted to make sure. Thanks! And yes, I know your website...it's where I got the procedure for this job in the first place!

Thanks again! You always come through for me, Speedy Jim! Chris.

Reply to
Lamprey