Ford Expedition Transmission

I have 1997 Ford Expedition and my transmission is acting real strange. My vehicle will only go into reverse, I cant go into drive, low, 1st, 2nd etc.. When I visited a transmission shop a real nice gent offered me a deal:

  1. Converter
  2. Soleniod Pack
  3. Shift Kit
  4. Labor

For $1700...Please excuse my ignorance to cars, but Is this a god deal?

KK

Reply to
kali kid

Seems a little high to me but not too bad. I figure a GOOD rebuild at an independent shop will cost about $1400 on most American cars. And that probably would not include your item 2 and/or 3. What kind of warranty is he offering? Should be 2 years and ideally thru a national network in case it breaks when you are out of town.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Quite so Tom but I would point out that there is a significant difference between a "remanufactured" tranny and a "rebuilt" one, other than a couple of thousand dollars. $1700 for the work described by the OP is not a bad price seeing as it also includes the labor. My only question for the gent at the transmission shop would be - "What is the nature of the warranty that comes with (or should) the job?" That would be the deciding factor for me.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D