Geo Metro shifting problems

I have a 1993 Geo Metro 5 speed.

The other day it was icy outside. I was driving home from work. A couple cars in front of me were stopped. I couldn't stop. To avoid rear ending the cars I swerved to the right, hit the curb and ended up on the grass beside the road.

Luckily I didn't hit anybody. I thought all was good, but I couldn't shift into 2nd. I drove home in 1st. Here's the deal. I can push the clutch in, shift into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. I can't go into 2nd, 3rd or Reverse. Basically I can go into all the gears that require me to push the stick up, but none of the gears that I need to push the stick down.

Is my transmission ruined or is there something I can try?

Reply to
hendri96

I would get underneath the car and look for bent members. Sounds like the linkage is bent or perhaps something else got bent and is interfering with the shift linkage. Always pays to look first.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I had the same thing on a 90 Metro once, no wreck though, but one of the engine mounts had broken throwing the linkage into a binding condition.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Well, I looked underneath and couldn't find any problems. I took it to a local auto shop. They adjusted the clutch, greased it up, and messed around with the linkage. They determined something was wrong with the transmission. The guys at the shop didn't charge me for the adjustments. That was pretty nice.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to attempt to part out the old Metro on eBay.

Reply to
hendri96

I"m selling the metro.

1993 Geo Metro For Sale $500 Visit this site for more details:
Email me if you are interested: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Reply to
hendri96