Ford Solenoid Question

I got an old farm tractor that was converted from a 6 volt to a 12 volt electrical system. A Ford solenoid was used for the starter to replace the original BIG switch that went between the battery and that starter. Those old tractors had a huge contact switch, but they did not hold up well, especially when converted to 12V.

Anyhow, the tractor was converted before I bought it, and they used a standard Ford solenoid. Yesterday that solenoid died. (I tested the starter and battery and all of that is fine. I plan to replace it, and have an old junked Ford car that has one. The only problem is that the one in the tractor has only one screw for the SMALL wire to the start switch. The solenoid in the car has two screws for small wires. Can I use it? Which screw do I use? If I connect to the wrong one will something short out?

And, just to know the answer, what is the second one for?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

why not just drill out the four ribets on the old selenoid and take it apart and find out that the metal disk inside is burned on one side..not making good contack.....and file the burn mark tarnish off of it and put it back together and it will work fine for another couple of years.. no sense buying new parts for an old tractor when you can fix them....

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Reply to
abc

wrote

Use the "S" terminal.... S for Start. The other one is connected to the output side, along with the starter motor.

Older cars with points-type ignition use a ballast resistor to protect the coil and points from overheating by reducing the current & voltage to them. When cranking, the starter sucks up so much power the voltage may drop too low for the coil to fire, so a "bypass" wire goes to this terminal to provide a full 12v while cranking.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:58:24 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
maradcliff