help in buying '93 taurus wagon with very low miles

Hello, helpful people.

I'm thinking of buying a '93 Taurus Wagon with a mere 20k miles on it. It's in beautiful shape, hardly driven, good CARFAX report -- but I keep reading about bad reliability in general for the '93 Taurus.

Anyone have any advice? Good experiences/Bad experiences with that year & model? At how many miles did things start to go?

Many thanks,

AB

Reply to
Amy Biancolli

3.0 buy it, 3.8 keep shopping.
Reply to
Michael O

Thanks. It is in fact a 3.0.

Reply to
Amy Biancolli

Mine still runs well. You'll enjoy maintenance because of age, but nothing big has broken yet. At 108,000 miles I'm still happy. Make sure it is a

3.0 and have "all!!!" the fluids changed at once, including the brake fluid.

Reply to
Bill

The weak links for these Taurus are transmission and a/c. My 95 Tausus has only 76k miles. About five months ago the transmission started to slip. Everytimes it goes from stop to go, the transmission will shudder. My mechanic told me I need a new transmission. A rebulit from Ford will run $2600 installed. I thought by 95 Ford had solved the famous Taurus transmission problem. My mechanic, who is a very honest man, told me Ford had not. I am very disapppointed about this, since I have taken great care of the transmission. I changed the transmission fluid every 30k miles and I have never abused the car. I decided not to repair the transmission. I am still driving the car. I pray that it will last for a while. The rest of the car is still in great shape. I will junk the car when the transmission dies.

Another major problem you may have is the a/c. The a/c in my Taurus had a major leak. I have some of the a/c tubings replaced and had the system recharged at a cost of $500. Good luck in your purchase.

Reply to
SChiu

My 93 wagon has 170K and original trannnie. Still shifting fine. The AC works well to. But, the VAS steering is funky, and there are the usually taurus clicks and clunks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz