Hole in block leaking coolant (pics)

There is a hole that developed in the block of my 93 Explorer (4.0 non-sohc) a couple weeks ago. It shot out coolant when my truck heated up. I was only a few turns from my house, so I'm hopeful that nothing else was damaged. But until I get into replacing my heads, again, I wanted to know what everyone would suggest I do. The hole is in some plug that seems to have been hammered into my block whre the water jets are. It is on the outside of the center cylinder on the pasenger side. This is right inside the passenger side wheel well. The pics show better the location. The pics are before and after I tried cleaning up the hole. I thought about patching it. When I cleaned up the opening with a dremel and a soft wire brush, the hole enlarged. The metal seems to be very thin near the hole.

Waht are these plugs and are they replaceable or should I patch it with JB Weld and hope the motor lasts a few more months?

Sorry, my upload isn't very fast. The images will load, however.

Regards,

Reply to
Mike Brancato

These are called freeze plugs. You can get new ones at auto stores. You can also get rubber freeze plugs that are made so that as you turn a bolt, they expand, so that they tighten.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It looks like a freeze plug that has corroded & started leaking. Check at a local parts store for a replacement freeze plug and see if it is similar. If so, it is relatively easy to pull the old one and replace it.

GT

Reply to
GT

Should I just try and pry the freeze plug out with a screw driver? I guess I'll need to remove my manifold on that side of the engine to get to it better.

Thanks.

GT wrote:

Reply to
Mike Brancato

That's a freeze plug. The fix is simple. Using a screw driver, punch into the plug and pop it out. Clean the hole carefully with a wire brush. Then using a wooden drift about the same size as the plug, hammer in a new one. it's that simple.

Reply to
Reece Talley

yes, take a large screw driver and a hammer and punch through it. Pry it out. There is a tool to install the new one but it can be done without it if you have enough room. (like removing the manifold) it needs to be tapped back in with a hammer on the edges without bending the edges. the tool is a long bar with a big round head that fits the freeze plug. GL

Reply to
Scott M