Fire in the hole!

Or rather sparks out of the back box! Making 'steady progress' down the M3 tonight in my VW T4 LWB 2.5TDi, well loaded upwith people/crap/luggage etc, when I see that it seems to have got 'a bit hazy' behind me but not in front! Power was still fine and all guages in the green so to speak. Pulled over to the hard shoulder to have a gander, expecting the worst, but the engine was still ticking over fine with no nasty noises/flames etc. Had a look up the back while it was still running and saw a few sparks coming out of the back box! Switched off after a minute or two and checked all fluids. All fine. No leaks or signs of overheating. Admittedly I was giving it a bit of stick, but these ACV lumps are built to take it. I fitted a simple 'tuning' device sourced from Ebay about a year ago which intercepts the ECU analogue voltage output to the injection pump to increase the fuelling. This has proved excellent (until tonight). I disconnected it and continued the remaining 80 miles home with no problems or smoke for that matter, so hopefully no damage done. I was getting worried for a while there as it's booked in for MOT tomorrow at 10.15am! A quick check with VAG-COM tomorrow morning I think.

JB

Reply to
JB

If it's been overfuelling slightly you where probably just burning off the soot.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My thoughts too. There was no trace of oil smoke or deposits in the tailpipes either thank God! These tuning gadgets are simple and effective though. I noticed a *marked* improvement in torque after fitting it last year. I get more mpg too as I can change up sooner. It's also fun to leave the 'Nova Monkeys' for dead too when the occasion warrants it. You just don't expcet a deisel LWB van to accelerate quite that quickly!

JB

Reply to
JB

loaded upwith people/crap/luggage etc, when I see that it seems to have

Not as bad as this I doubt?

Blown an intercooler/turbo IIRC.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Another sucker who paid £20 for a 2 pence resistor....

If you'd asked on here, we'd have told you.

Reply to
Conor

I did indeed pay about £20 from Germany, but it came fitted with the VAG

10-pin male/female connectors which are about £14 from the dealers. I really wanted to be able to get the value of the 2 fixed resistors and the multi-turn pot in there so I could build a few myself (of which I have now built/sold 11 for £5.00ea although without the VAG connectors.). Sucker? I think not.

JB

Reply to
JB

Nope..still a sucker. Paid £14 to save snipping a wire and connecting an overpriced resistor in series.

Reply to
Conor