How to replace brake / stop light for 1998 Mercury Sable station wagon

The driver's /user's manual does mention it for a sedan model but not for a station wagon ( instead, the manual says 'refer to qualified
technicians'). I had a Chilton's repair manual for 86-92 Ford but it has only very brief description.
The problem is actually how to remove the rear lamp assembly. I have removed the (two) philips screws on the plastic assembly but the assembly would not come off -- too little force? well it may break if I applied too much. It seems there is three screw somewhere from 'inside' but I just could not find it either on the assy. or inside the spare tire compartment.
After you have removed the two screws, you have to 'pop' the front end of the light assembly off the retaining pin, which sticks out perpendicular from the car. You may be able to 'pry' it off if you have good finger strength, but maybe a popsicle stick or two would work. You have to be careful not to scratch the paint. I used a small screwdriver when I changed mine.

Thanks for the reply!!!
I will definitely try it this way -- may be use a small screw driver, too.
Are there ANY OTHER screws have to been removed first?
Winston

Check your hotmail account!