I need help and info, 99 ranger

I have a 99 ranger with just over 46,000 miles that just had rear left leaf spring break at the clamp for no apparant reason. I do not tow or load the truck up with anything close to alowable payload. I don't drive it much being that i have a work van and i live in a pretty rural area so 75% of those miles are highway miles. The dealer said it would cost about 2 hundred to fix the spring so i said ok. Now they are telling me ford upgraded the leaf springs from three to four and are more heavy duty. Plus instead of doing one side they have to do both sides and the price would be doubled if not slightly more. I have about ten payments left and am pissed that i have to put money into this truck. Why the upgrade in the original leaf springs? Sounds a little funny to me. Of course extended warranty won't cover suspension repairs. Money isn't the whole issue, it's more principle. Ford won't even stand by their products 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty is a joke. I heard that there is a program that Ford will pay for repairs not under warranty in certain situations. My girlfriend used this twice on her contour. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Scott

Thomas Moats

Get a used spring from a wrecking yard, it will only be about $50-75, bolt it on yourself, drive it and try to enjoy it. My 83 Ranger had multiple leaf metal springs, my 93 has some odd single leaf that looks like fiberglass, who knows what they do from year to year. Dealer should be able to order a new leaf with 3 to match your other spring at any rate, if thats what you want to do.

Reply to
Scott

I have a 98 Ranger with 84K and just snapped my 2nd leaf spring. The left rear was the first to go and now my right rear. Like you, I don't do any towing or loading so this has me curious. The dealers seem to think this isn't to unusual for a ford ranger, but it still doesn't seem right.