Springs and shocks for 98 Tacoma

My 1998 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L runs like a champ at 160K miles. My only problem is the springs. In the past three years I had to replace the short leaf on the passenger side once and driver side twice (13 months apart!).

I've never carried more than 1,000 pounds in the back. I only got close to that once, in fact. And I know how to distribute the weight, so it wasn't like I had it all piled on top of the axle.

You can be sure Toyota knows about this problem -- they got an earful from me, and I know I'm not the only one. I've seen the subject discussed here before.

My question: What can I do for, say, under $200 that will make this a non-problem? Will new shocks help, or is that unrelated?

And if I replace the shocks, what do you recommend? It's not a TRD. I seldom carry weight, and most but not all of my driving is on paved road.

Thanks!

Reply to
Laphroaig

Suggest having your local spring shop make a set. Pre-Tacoma spring packs will also fit, but will raise it an inch or 2. There's also a number of spring sets available from places like Downey, Northwest Off-Road, etc. Pick up any off-road magazine and you'll see ads.

Reply to
Dan G

Toyota *does* know about this problem. There was a TSB for early Taco leaf springs although I think it was worded as a "ride comfort" issue. Earlier

3-leaf springs were prone to breakage and you could have them replaced with 4-leaf models. If the truck was still under warranty it would be covered but a little late for that now.

I have heard of owners with trucks out of warranty who have managed to get Toyota to replace their springs for the labor cost alone, ~$160 to $200.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX List owner, Toy_Coma autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Toy_Coma/

Reply to
Mike Harris