instrument cluster lights speedometer cable 1981 ford van e250

Hi Folks: I'm hoping someone can help me here. I need to pull my instrument cluster out, actually just the section containing the speedometer and gauges, to change the lights. The manual is telling me to pull the cluster out enough for me to disconnect the speedometer cable. I can just barely get my hand behind the thing, because the cable is too tight, and it doesn't feel like a knurled sleeve that I'm use to. I can only just feel this fastener, whatever it is.. It rotates a bit in either direction, but I can't even get my fingers around this connector. There must be something I'm missing. Maybe I need to disconnect the cable at the tranny for more slack? Thanks for any help folks. Harry

1981 ford e250 club wagon 460
Reply to
HarryHydro

It has a snap on connector, not a screw type. One must squeeze the connector, to release the tab that catches on one side.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

yes, and, see if you can get to it BEFORE you pull it out by reaching up from under the dash.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Reply to
HarryHydro

damn mice! Well at least they didn't chew any wires apart! :)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman