Modern Tires Ruin the Roads

Pebbles catch in the fine sipes of modern tires and are carried in the tread. As the tire rolls, they abrade the roadways.

Earlier tire designs use coarse zig-zag treads that cannot pick up small rocks.

Car manufacturers should specify tire tread designs that do no degrade the roads. Only rubber compound should contact the roadways.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

uhh... no!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've been picking pea gravel out of tires for about 4 decades. I'd be far more concerned with

a) how well they shed water to prevent hydroplaning b) how well they grip the road c) chains and spikes from snow tires d) heavy trucks on not very thick roadways e) even, where I live, the nature of the soil; it's very brittle and continuously slipping down the mountainsides, or washing out under the roads.

Reply to
Spike

True...they only picked up larger rocks.

I'll bet you lay awake at night dreaming up this crap.

Reply to
Hairy

You are NUTS. If you are driving in icy/snowy conditions, the finely siped tire is a NECESSITY. If you have STUDS, that is (possibly) a different story. Carbide studs damage the road, particularly if you spin the tires. Nylon studs do minimal damage. Gravel stones, sand and pebbles????? NEVER.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Makes you wonder what he does for a living, consider the super-accurate speedo... sure hope no one pays him to be an analyst, of any sort.

My bet he assists in election campaigns... strong link between denial, obfuscation, nit-picking and politics

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Total contact of harder than pavement objects in tires = .001%

The noise you hear from block treaded tires, opposed to those with fine tread designs is not simply incidental. Anything that generates energy - including sound energy- indicates 'work done' in the scientific sense.

Since this involves the entire tread surface, not just the incidental pebble in maybe one of 10 tires rolling on that track, a case could be made that firmer, wider tread with blocks affects the surface more than the odd pebble.

Finer siping, OTOH, provides more conformity and less abrading/scrubbing action.

Since the whole concept is Bullshit, it will probably become a law, eventually

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Those modern tire provide much better all weather traction and save lives. By the way I seldom see pebbles stuck in the tread of my Michelin Harmony all season tires. What inferior tires are you referring to.

Reply to
Spam Hater

ROTFL!!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Hey, this is first rate comedy! Better than Click and Clack!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Sunshine and rain do more damage.

Ban the weather.

Reply to
joe schmoe

May be they should start building roads out of recycled rubber from tires, then the roads could throw the stones back in retaliation.

Reply to
Coasty

I don't know where he's getting this from... IME old bias ply tire have far more "fine sipes" than the modern radials that I currently have on my cars (BFG T/A on one, Yoko ES100 on another, and some Goodyear all-season POS on a third)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ever wonder what happens to all the rubber from the tire threads as the tire wears out...millions and millions of tires......every day...year after year....

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Many think the government should pay for their health care and prescription drugs, and as long as the roads are wearing out anyway, they should make tires out of concrete and the roads out of rubber. Let government pay the bill rather than the car owners. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The problem is we are the government.

Reply to
Coasty

Ice and road salt does far more damage to northern roads than does tires, sun, rain and pretty much everything else put together. Only a burning car is worse on the asphalt than ice and salt.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to southern climes.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Dunno about THAT, but there's no doubt that bias plies were far more destructive to secondary roads....

Geezers, please think back to where every curve became rutted... due to tire resistance.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

In my area there was a 750 foot portion of concrete built to interstate standards that lay dormant for 25 years... blocked off, it had no vehicular traffic, and negligible salt on it. It only had rain and freeze/thaw.

By the time the roadway got extended, it was a broken up mess.. they had to tear it all up and lay new concrete.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Tell that to those that want the government to provide all of those 'free' services ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter