No Start; No Trouble Codes

99 Contour V6 Automatic Xmission Active Anti Theft

Have a 99 Contour that will crank but does not start. Both the active and passive anti theft LEDs are correct. Tried 2 ignition keys. There are no trouble codes. Ran fine till no start condition. While cranking no spark. So, what should I look for that will cause it not to start (no spark) but does not generate a trouble code ???

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe, Not to question your skills or anything but are you 100% positive you have no spark? My first guess would have been a fuel pump problem (which cougars are known for) or you fuel shutoff switch has been tripped. Since you have spark then I would be looking at the iginition control module or the connections to it. Since the engine cranks it rules out the anti theft device because the engine would not even crank if the key was not programmed properly for the car. I also suggest something along the lines of a crank position sensor (if equipped..not sure) or something of that nature that would relay to the computer the car is in a starting sequence. My final thought would be the computer itself but I hope for your sake that it is not since I hear that they are pretty expensive. I admit I am not sure if any of these problems would generate a code on a OBDII scanner but I hope my 2 cents helps. By the way I own a 99 cougar as well so please post the solution to this problem if you find it and good luck!

Dana

Reply to
Odie

Dana,

Thanks for the input.

Resolved the start problem. Turned out to be the "Crankshaft Position Sensor" Checked the resistance with an ohmmeter and it measured open, suppose to be between 300 to 800 ohms. Picked up one from the local Ford dealer for $34. It was easy to replace... I surly thought that the OBD ll diagnostics would have identified an open or no output from the CKP during cranking, guess not.

Thanks...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe, Good job! Glad I could be of some assistance. Thanks for replying the solution to the group. You may have saved me some headaches for the future if I ever encounter this problem with the my cougar.

Dana

Reply to
Odie