Power steering fluid change?

The mileage on my Escort has reached 100-K. I want to service the power steering system. Should I drain the PS system while adding new fluid or just add some Lucas conditioner, or both?

Thanks

Reply to
Fordfan

Remove and extend return/reservoir hose ... idling engine, drain into bucket till runs clear.

I SAY AGAIN, the Lucas PS additive works great - IF YOU HAVE A LEAK IN YOUR RACK, IT MIGHT SAVE YOU BIG BUCKS! -

IF YOU DONT HAVE A LEAK..dont use it!!!!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you just change the fluid in the reservoir, will this new fluid circulate through the whole system [like the rad cooling system], or just sit in the resevoir like brake fluid? thanks

Reply to
WG

well, in the first place brake fluid doesnt 'just sit there' though it's a single ended system.. and can only be flushed thru bleeders.

but no, it recirculates as the rack or box operates... which is why there's a 'return' hose

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The fluid in the PS reservoir does mix with the fluid in the system but there's not much point in changing just the fluid in the reservoir. It represents a relatively small amount of the total PS fluid.

Reply to
Fordfan