99 sable door lock question.

For some reason, All of the power door locks seem to lack enough power to actuate them all of the time. It would seem odd to me that all 4 actuators are bad. I get the same results from both the driver and passenger lock/unlock switch. I was thinking it might be a problem with a relay, but the only one that I can find is for driver unlock, and even with it pulled, the rest of the doors still work poorly.

Anyone have any ideas about what me be wrong?

thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris M

Chances are that some of them were acting up long before you noticed..... (the number of times I have had to replace two headlamp bulbs to fix no low or high beams will attest to no noticing until it is too late).

Unless I am sadly mistaken, the door lock "solenoids" on your car aren't solenoids. They are small electric motors that work somewhat similar to the recirculating ball nut and worm screw in a conventional worm and sector steering gear.

Over time, the small balls capture by the drive motor and the worm screw that attaches to the lock mechanism will corrode and pit. . It gets harder and harder for any of the actuators to move and, eventuallty, the current requirements of the circuit build to the point where wire gauge can begin to limit current flow. The duration of the lock/unlock pulse isn't long enough to blow the fuse, but the current requirements are too much for the wire to handle without becoming part of the problem....

This is a long way of saying that the actuators are about pooched but I'm a long way from home, sitting in a hotel room while attending a Ford training course..... and anyone reading this is, apparently, my captive audience....

When I was younger, I would attempt to "buy time" with these actuators by soaking the ball mechanism and the screw with penetrant and work them to free them up.... This "repair" will last an indeteminate length of time.... anywhere between 15 seconds and 15 years - it is up to your discretion. Looking close at what we're up against before we start the task might give us a reasonable assumption of what to expect for life of the "repair"...

Now.... as a dealer tech, I am going to recommend replacing the faulty units - The reason..... if I am doomed to a repeat repair, I am further ahead to be able to condemn a faulty replacement part than to be saddled with the notion that my workmanship is substandard....

Reply to
Jim Warman

To make it last longer, coat the worm well with Lucas Red 'N Tacky grease. They'll probably never fail again.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Reply to
Chris M

...wish you coulda been here yesterday:sunny, clear, and 83 F...;) Hope the soak and clean works well for you. Sounds like it might just carry you through. s

Reply to
sdlomi2