Re: Buying 92-94 Taurus - engine & heater?

C.)

>>> wrote: > >>> > >>> >Dave, this Foxeye person is a Toyota troll who is very biased against > >>> >Fords. Please wait to hear some other opinions before making a decision. > >>> >I do not have any personal experience with Tauruses, but my brother had > >>> >2 Taurus wagons and he says they are good cars. I would have no qualms > >>> >about buying one. > >>> > >>> The opinions expressed are mine, and mine alone. > >>> My wife had no input whatsoever.Remove www from > >>> email for correct address. Never trust a rocket > >>> or motor company from "Claremont Calif" > >>> NAR #70031 > >> > >>
> > Having been a longtime Toyota mechanic I can vouch for them having > >been, historically, a superior product to most American manufacturers > >-but also commanding a premium price, particularly on the used market. > > > >I now own my 4th and 5th Ford products - all purchaced used, 1 sold at > >240,000km, one sold to a friend who took it over 300,000km, one > >scrapped at age 16 years due to body rust, and the current 2 being 11 > >and 17 years old - the 17 year old Ranger with 313,000km on it and > >totally trouble free to date. > > > >I've purchaced them all for half or less what I would have had to pay > >for a Toyota of the same age, mileage, and function. > > > >I'm not complaining. > > Our fleet where I worked had hundreds of Lumina's and Taurus's and > they were fairly trouble free. I know that of the ones assigned to > the group I ran we never had any significant problems with any of > them. We just drove em till their time was up (which was often way > past 100K) and sent them to be auctioned and got new ones. Sure, > every brand has it's problems but I find it interesting that the Ford > Head Gaskets seem to be well known to the Toyota fans yet they seem > completely oblivious to the more or less same problem that affected > Toyota's V6 a few years and was the subject of a recall. Similarly, > they act like they never heard of all the sludged up Toyota V6s that > Toyota blamed on the owners not doing oil changes even when the owners > showed all the receipts from the Toyota Dealer for the oil changes > they did. Then there were the Toyotas that had electric problems that > caused the "lock" power to remain stuck in ON position and preventing > the trapped owners from opening their door... while the lock motors > overheated and set fire to the doors!!!

Of all the cars I've owned over the years....

Olds was the most trouble-free and luxurious, but hardest to work on.

Fords' my choice for best all round & least trouble except whining power steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

Chevy 300 small block best engine around, always had to rebuild trans at

70K miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

Toyota was good least problem of any car I've had. But price is too high these days.

Mitsubishi (DSM) mixed feelings - good running but repeating problems with computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

Reply to
Guv Bob

steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

heh - I had a Mitsubishi once...1980...Biggest POS, esp with the carb...Had a wax pellet that controlled the choke and when the car warmed up, the pellet would relax and lower the idle, when it got cold it retracted. The damn thing would wear out and you would have to replace the carb, which had more hoses and tubes connected to it than a quadruple heart by-pass patient....

My most reliable cars have been my Fords...F-150 - Heck, even my 1976 Granada was hard to kill...pos one barrel carb, but could never kill that straight 6. My 1993 6 cyl T-Bird was in the range of the topic, and *did* have the issue with the head gasket...blew at 111K miles and had a nice smoke cloud behind me a Prestone shooting out on the exhuast. Did a Head gasket job, and sold it with 211K miles with no other problems....

My GM's I seem to always have electrical issues, and will never buy another. 1993 Buick dash was always screwed up....same on my '06 Saturn Vue...Windshield wipers not working occasionally, press the volume up button and volume goes down on the radio, and every time the electric radiator fan goes on, the traction control light on the dash comes on, then turns off when the fan does....some wacky crap...

We are in the market now for an inexpensive family car - Look at the Kia's - Disappointed....tinny, uncomfortable and way over priced. Check out the Nissan Sentra, some of hyundia's offerings, the Toyota Camry & Corolla but way overpriced for what you get, and and then Ford. Looked at the Fiesta and when the drivers seat is back it's hitting the back seat and was overpriced in my opinion for what you get - That's out. The Focus is marginally ok for us size wise (my wife and I are tall, not fat!..lol with 2 tall kids for the back seat) ,.... But we really liked the Fusion - some good incentives and got a price on a '13 for $20,500. Doing so research and thinking about that one...Still in the vetting process and don't want to rush, even if the offer for that is only good till the end of the month, I'm sure other sales will come again.. :)

Reply to
IYM

steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

Have you looked at the Dart? Lots of reviews say they are very good.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

I've had a couple Mitt so shitties too over the decades.

The wax choke thermostat was only the least of the problems with that carb - I replaced them with Holley Weber carbs from Pintos and Vegas MANY times.

The old 3.8 was a bit fragile - likely the worst Ford engine marketed in North America since the original Flathead.

Not called the "Garageman's Companion" for nothing!

Fusion-Perhaps the best proven value in North America at this time. The new Dart and Chrysler 200 may give it a run, but the jury is still out - not enough experience yet.

Reply to
clare

power steering pump (Ford stocked replacement whines as well) and A/C compressor failed early (expensive fix).

trans at 70K miles, A/C compressor ice cold never failed, chain broke at 225K miles, also elec windows got off the track easily early on and difficult open up the door panels and get them back (take to a pro for this).

high these days.

problems with computer/sensors/wiring after 70K miles. I'd say this is a good hobby car for someone who likes to spend hours under the hood.

Good to hear that about Fords. I heard something on the radio where Ford was returning to knobs instead of the push & hold digital types. Said that people like being able to reach over and find knobs while driving without having to look down and then look up to see a telephone pole coming at them.

Reply to
Guv Bob