Re: mystery hole (1996 Mustang 4.6L V8) (with links to photos)

"Ronald O. Christian" wrote

My wife has a 1996 Mustang GT convertible with the 4.6 liter V8. I > think it's the SOHC engine, not the newer DOHC engine. > I parked the car, let it idle, and opened the hood to see where the > water was coming from. I expected a bad water pump, but the water > seemed to be originating *behind* the pump, between the cylinder > heads. >
> best photo and headed to the dealer. A mechanic looked at the photo > and said his best guess was that one of those brass allen plugs that > are used in various places in the engine had vibrated out.

Only thing I can think of is the coolant temp sensor, as that's what the guys at

say, even though autozone.comsays it should be on the driver's side. About half-way down the page, or search the page for "cylinder heads", and look at the second picture. Aw, heck, here it is:
looks like your photos. Does your shop manual have the color code for the sensor's wire, and can you find it (the wire or the sensor)?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster"

Well I was gonna say it looken an awful lot like the right sized hole for a coolant temp sensor when I read this post the other night. I figured I would get blasted again with the "they don't make cars like they used to, and that's a good thing" jargon I seem to be getting lately. In any case, I doubt it's for a coolant temp sensor as he said his idiot light was working.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:01:28 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

say, even though autozone.com>says it should be on the driver's side. It is on the driver's side. If I flubbed the description, I apologize.

That's it. That's the one.

I've looked with a flashlight, but it might have worked it's way back under the manifold. I'm wondering about the "blind hole" part of the description, and the belief that the 96 didn't have the sensor. Perhaps the hole was meant to be empty on this model? It sure looks like it goes all the way into the water jacket.

Continuing to check. Thanks a lot.

Ron

-

Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Helpmessages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files,messages or documentation that convey no useful information, orpedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.

Reply to
Ronald O. Christian

While the car is cold, pour in water and see if that hole lets water out. Also it is easier to spot a leak when the engine is heating up with the radiator cap on, so presure develops.

Its not recommended to pour cold water into an over-heating engine. The temperature differentials can cause cracks in the heads. If the water has to be added and is admitted slowly, this problem is minimised.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Your kind of going about your diagnosis backwards. Put the water pump back on, fill the cooling system and pressurize it with out the engine running ( that why you wont "cook" an expensive engine ). While the cooling system is pressurized, you'll see the leak and then know what to do.

That hose you mentioned or the intake front cooling passage ( cracked ) is the most likely failure. The Allan's that are in some threaded holes are put in with thread lock they do not back out. If it did, it should be laying on the floor of the engine valley in plain view.

That short piece of hose does go under the intake and out the back

Reply to
Thomas Moats

does the idiot light work when the engine cools down, like the next day?? or does it show up hot all the time?? if so then its because the wire is off the sending unit......

Reply to
jim