99 Mustang Power Windows - both will not go down

99 Mustang convertible. Both power rear windows were working fine. Then both rear windows stopped working at the same time. Fronts work fine.

Diagnosis summary:

  1. Checked fuses under dash - none blown (plus I think same fuses cover all windows).
  2. Checked high-current breakers under hood - OK.
  3. Pulled switch assembly in front door. Put current meter over wires going to rear switches - shows current - both rear switches - up to 25 amps. I don't have schematic - so I don't know "which wire does what" - but wires to/from rear window switches are passing current.

Any ideas ??? I'd usually suspect window motor at this point - but how could both motors blow at same time ?

I'm stumped - greatly appreciate any experiences or comments.

Thanks !!!

Reply to
DelawareDave

I recently had the harness come unplugged behing the rear panels of my '90 ragtop. Did it sitting at a stoplight.

It's at least worth a look.

-Donald in Austin

Reply to
Unit335

Donald - thanks for note. Guess I'll have to pull the rear panels.

It's drawing current when I hit the switch for either rear window - so I don't think a plug could be disconnected.

I thought maybe wire(s) shorted to ground after the window switch - but then fuse would blow and wouldn't consistently draw amps.

Thanks for any help !

Reply to
DelawareDave

Reply to
B-Rad

Silly question, did you check your window "lock" button?

| > > Diagnosis summary: | > > 1. Checked fuses under dash - none blown (plus I think same fuses cover | > all | > > windows). | > > 2. Checked high-current breakers under hood - OK. | > > 3. Pulled switch assembly in front door. Put current meter over wires | > > going to rear switches - shows current - both rear switches - up to 25 | > amps. | > > I don't have schematic - so I don't know "which wire does what" - but | > wires | > > to/from rear window switches are passing current. | > >

| > > Any ideas ??? | > > I'd usually suspect window motor at this point - but how could both | motors | > > blow at same time ? | > >

| > > I'm stumped - greatly appreciate any experiences or comments. | > >

| > > Thanks !!! | >

| > I recently had the harness come unplugged behing the rear panels of my '90 | > ragtop. Did it sitting at a stoplight. | >

| > It's at least worth a look. | >

| > -Donald in Austin | >

| |

Reply to