Re: Replace Transmission Radiator?

Greg wrote: "I was hit a couple of weeks ago. Head on. The other driver wasn't going very fast. But he did damage the bumper and the transmission radiator. Neither were too bad. Geico cut me a nice check for the damages. I can live with the bumper. But does the transmission radiator need replaced? It was pushed in a little bit. But it didn't puncture anything. Here is a image of it."

It does not look like it will effect the cooling that much. If it is not leaking, then leave it. You can possibly straighten the fins in the smashed section. They make a tool to do this with but you can use a small flat blade screw driver if you real careful not to puncture the tube part.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I'd replace the cooler. Do you want to take the chance that the ~$100 cooler could fail and take out a ~$2000 transmission. Not to mention the fact that the insurance check was to repair your vehicle. If you didn't want to fix your car, why did you take the check? Just curious.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I actually do want to replace it. All the parts (grill and bumper included). But I can do those myself and pocket some money. I went to a transmission shop yesterday and the owner said if it were his car he wouldn't waste the money on it. I might try a salvage.

Reply to
Greg

And by the way. I have nothing but good things to say about Geico. They are the insurer of the person that hit me. They were very helpful and the estimator cut me a check for the damages on the spot.

Reply to
Greg