removing the gas tank on a '96 ford ranger (3.0, 4x4)

removing the gas tank on a '96 ford ranger

Anyone have any idea on how to disconnect the wires from the top of the gas tank? This seems to be a strange type of connector. Not sure if it's meant to be removed. Each wire has a small square rubber piece where it plugs in. I'm not sure how to get this apart! Do the wires come out separately or all together as a plug?

thx

Reply to
HandymanBob

You left out an important detail... why are you taking out the tank?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The anwer depends on why you are taking the tank out...

Are you there?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The electric fuel pump is not working. I checked the inertia switch for voltage and that it wasn't tripped. Looks good.

I wanted to check the voltage at the pump, but couldn't get the plug off, and then just decided to pull the tank and replace the pump (and check voltage and ground at the pump) . Very difficult tank to remove. Someone suggested to slip the bed off. Not a bad idea!

Reply to
HandymanBob

That's what my Ford dealer did. The bed just needs to be unbolted and slipped part way off, not completely removed.

Reply to
I. Care