Scored a pair of 289's

A friend had two engines stored in a garage for some time. One is basically a complete engine, the other is a block and heads. The complete engine has a points distributor. At this time, the only casting number I can locate is on the intake manifold: C60E 8425A. Can someone please identify the year of manufacture for me?

Thanx!

Now all I have to do is locate a rebuild kit!!

Reply to
Shayne Jenkins

C6 indicates a 1966 part number, which should narrow down your search. Good luck

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

Reply to
Shayne Jenkins

A 289 in a Pinto, sounds like fun. Build a sleeper for killing riceboy hondas and those silly Stupidru WRX's. A note-worthy project indeed.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"Pinto"

Shayne, how dare you use foul language on the forum? - lol.

Good luck on your rebuild. I have always had a love/hate thing with the Pinto but never Man enough to actually go out and buy one I guess.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

Smallblock in a Pinto should be interesting, how about a 331 or a 347 stroker kit?

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

The C6 in the part number indicates that 1966 was the first year it was used, and they switched over to all 302's in, umm, was it '69 (?). That should narrow it down a bit.

Good luck on the Pinto. I saw it done once, the guy turned the exhaust manifolds upside down and switched sides to make it fit. Or maybe you can cut into the shock towers. Be judicious with the throttle, as the stock diff wasn't designed for anywhere near that much torque.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

In '68 the 302 replaced the 289 for nearly all vehicles. I think Mustangs still had the 289. In '69 the 289 was totally gone.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" wrote in news:lBTfd.12232 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

I drove a car with a 60's 289 (non HP) for several years. It's a great engine. Easy to work on and bulletproof. But it certainly is not a scooby-doo WRX STI killer. If you build it up before you shoehorn it in, it could be though. And the 289 can do it without 15 pounds of boost like the scooby. Just trying to prevent an embarrassing defeat for the blue oval.

OP: I would love to see a website with a few photos once you get semi- finished.

Rodney

Reply to
Rodney

289s are great little engines. They can rev all day long. There are people who build 289s that rev to 10 grand, and live with 10 grand shifts all season.

A stock 289 bottom end should be safe to about 7 grand, then slap on a pair of aftermarket aluminum heads (I've heard the AFR 165s are good, maybe the

205s if you wanna have it rev out the wazoo). Then top it off with a good intake, the Stealth is good to about 6.5-7 grand, go single plane for more top end. And of course pick a cam appropriate to the RPM range of the rest of your combination.

The biggest bottleneck on a small block Ford is the heads, so keep that in mind when doing your build.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

I believe Pintos came with a 7.5" differential, the Pinto wagons came with the 8" rear end, which is plenty strong for a V-8 conversion.

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

Standard rearend was actually a 6.5.... This conversion will probably take some time to finish, as money and work are constantly getting in my way. At least I finally have a powerplant to work with!

I guess I'll be looking for a C-4 to replace my C-3, a better rear, ignition system, etc...

Naturally, photos will be required!

Thanx to all, though, for the assist, h>I believe Pintos came with a 7.5" differential, the Pinto wagons came with

Reply to
Shayne Jenkins

Reply to
lugnut

What diff did they use in the Mustang II? Just thinking out loud, you would have to check, but could it be a possible transplant?

C4 was a pretty good trans with lots of good aftermarket goodies available. Be sure to get a good intermediate band, as repeated full-power shifts can peel the lining, especially if you have beefed the engine. I turned a couple of C4's into 2-speeds that way back in the day ;-)

IIRC, the HEI systems from later 302's are nearly a drop-in replacement with not much wiring.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer