Sensor Problem?

This just started happening with my 1990 Grand Marquis EFI 5.0.

After I start driving from my home and stop at a light, sign, etc., the car starts idling very high with my foot on the brake. It changes on its own because when I leave home it is idling fine. Sometimes the idle doesn't change at all.

The most common time it happens is after I get on the highway and the car was idling fine until I got to the highway, I drive approx. 60 MPH for around 20 minutes and when I get off and come to my first stop the idle stays high then also.

Any ideas on how to elminiate this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
flip

flip wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

First step, clean the idle air control. Use throttle body cleaner.

Disconnect the MAF connector, and the throttle body to air cleaner tube at throttle body

Look down the throat and see the port to the IAC, just in front of throttle plate. Start car and spray throttle body cleaner into the port, backing off if engine starts to die.. also around throttle plate.

Dont go crazy, it doesnt have to be shiny.. if that's what you want, tear the assenmbly down to clean it.

If that doesnt do it, move on to other things.

Also check the vacuum modulator on trans (if it has one) esp if you note hard shifting occasionally

A good source of info;

Backyard Mechanic

.. possible TPS faulty. If you've had the car for at least ten years and never changed this; Good idea, it's a wear item.

Echlin or genuine Ford, Motorcraft

NOT WELLS

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic