Severe Judder, Any Ideas

Travelling in an 1993 E150 Econoline, we were coming down a hill at about

30-40mph, brakes lightly applied then a judder thru out van, as if All tyres were flat (which at the time i thought they were) Never happened before. Hav'nt taken it to a garage yet, Any ideas what caused this ?
Reply to
TJ Evans

I'd check for loose front end parts - particularly tie rod ends

Reply to
clare

Warped brake rotors.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

If the rotors are warped, you will get the shudder any time the brake is applied. Being an econoline, from lots of past experience, I'd be checking out the front suspension and steering linkage VERY closely.

Reply to
clare

bad steering stabilizer, or false ABS activation come to mind, (since it's not every time you hit the brakes, ).

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

That vehicle has rubber bushed tie rod ends and other steering linkages as standard equipment, and if they get worn (not if, but when) they get really unpredictable and the "death wobble" is a common result. Replace with Moog instead of OEM parts to solve the problem more or less for good.

Reply to
clare

Mine are about ready for replacing. What's better about Moog over OEM?

Reply to
Guv Bob

They are not made of rubber - they are "conventional" joints and stand up a lot better.

Reply to
clare