spindle for '90 tbird.

the last time my brakes were done, one of the bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle had to be replaced with a different one and force-threaded in.. being the hole is stripped... so now they need done again and I need a new spindle... except this doesn't apear to be a part that's listed at the regular auto parts stores.... unless it uses another name?? I realy don't want to get something so vital from a scrapyard.. but dealer prices would mean a trip into the river for this car as far as I'm concerned.. any leads to where i can relace it at a reasonable price?

Reply to
Dark1

You might not have a choice but to go to a junk yard. The dealer probably wont have it because the car is so old. You might try the heli-coil method too.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Using Heli-coil to repair stripped thread is a fantastic way to safe money and work. We used to repair front spindles all the time on GM products. Buy two new retainer bolts for your brake caliper and also a Heli-coil kit. They come in all sizes. The kit consists of several inserts, the proper drill bit and a applicator. If you have a good drill, it's a piece of cake. Good luck. P.S. Heli-coil is available in all good autoparts supply stores.

Reply to
rjtvd

"Dark1" wrote

Are you kidding? I would bet you would have as much chance of getting a defective one new as getting one from a reputable junkyard.

If the donor vehicle wasnt smacked on that side, it's safe as cake. And will cost you next to nothing. I bought a whole spindle, hub, good disk for under 35 for my 93. At one of the highest priced lots.

Otherwise heli-coil it, as rj says

It's the lower ball joints on the MN12 you have to worry about. If it squeaks on turning wheel replace it quick

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

go to wrecker. spindles usually dont wear out as there are no moving parts on them .. just make sure the axle shaft has no significant wear on the bearing locations.

Reply to
Rob