Supremely Dumb Question

I have a 2006 Mercury Montego (let's all pretend that it's a Ford 500 for a minute)

Now comes the part I really hate myself for asking.(but not enough not to post).

This car has a black plastic license plate holder mounted on the the lower front facia. I'm required to have a front plate where I live and was going to put it on this evening after I finished up with everything else.

When it was getting dark I decided to go ahead and mount the plate. I promised the local Barney Fife that I'd have it installed by Monday Morning.

I go to pit the plate on and find 3 circular steel or aluminim pins protruding from the bracket that's mounted on the car. As it was getting dark, I put the little project off until I could figure out how these things come off. Obviouslt, the plate can't be mounted until those things are removed.

Maybe the whole bracket comes off and the pins are removed from behind. I've never paid it any mind before. didn't even know whether or not I had a factory bracket up front until I got pulled over and tried to convince Barney that the plate had fallen off. He made be get out and look at the evidence which seemed to indicate that there was never a plate there in the first place.

Reply to
Franknphilly

Those "pins" are most likely rivets. That's what the brackets are usually installed with. If there are rivets and no licence plate bracket, chances are someone took off the original licence plate bracket.

Usually removing a rivet is a matter of drilling out the center. In your case, you might be able to just cut off the protruding face of the rivets and push them back through the holes.

Lastly, your Mercury dealer (let's pretend it's a Ford dealer for a minute ;-) should be glad to perform this 60 second proceedure for you. The Ford dealer did it for me not long ago on my Ranger.

CJB

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Put the plate on your dash for the time being until you can take care of this. Any judge should find you NOT GUILTY for not displaying a front plate.

Reply to
ed