T-Bird trunk question

About the only complaint I've had since I bought my T-Bird new in 97 is the dang trunk lid. On the slightest incline it won't stay up. Can't see any way to adjust the spring tension. Any ideas out there? TIA,

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

I have the same problem with my '96. The dealer installed an aftermarket spoiler instead of ordering it with a factory one. This is what makes mine too heavy. I keep a wooden block about 6-8 inches long and about 1.5-2 inches wide in the trunk (midwest cedar, if that matters) and put it between the body and the back of the lid to keep it propped open.

This isn't the first problem I've had with the aftermarket spoiler- after I'd had the car about 3 years, the clearcoat wore off the spoiler and local dealers (I didn't buy locally) wouldn't fix it under warranty because, after all, it was "aftermarket".

Reply to
m262007

I've got the spoiler but it's factory. My wife's Rodeo has a rear lid problem and I just stashed a piece of PVC pipe in the spare tire bracket to prop it up with. Guess I'll have to come up with some kind of prop for the Bird. Thanks.

Reply to
F.H.

One of the MN12 T Bird sites, either

or
has an article on adding aftermarket pistons (can't think of the real name for them) like they use to hold open the hoods and trunks of many other cars. They are small and the job looks relatively easy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone