Taurus engine problems

My good daily driver sedan got totaled a few weeks ago. Lacking the funds to replace with the like, I purchased a "problem child" car a neighbor got fustrated with. Its a 93 taurus with 88,000 miles, ran poorly. only paid $75. for it since our neighbor was so discontented with it. Since it had nice body, glass and interior, I figured I might beable to figure out the "bug" and have a cheap car.

I found the bug alright. Found it had no compression on the 3 cylenders on the one side of the V-6 engine. hmm. pulled the head, all the valves burt badly. okay no problem, I can get another head and valves cheap enough....

I got to thinking about it though why did the cylenders on the one side of the V-6 have 130-145 lbs of compression, but NONE of the cylenders on the other side had compression due to the burt valves. That got me worried, what caused the valve failure on only one side of the V-6 on an engine with 88, 000 miles....I sure would really hate to put another head on there to find that it was some cooling passage blocked, thus causing valve failure. Should I be concerned with this or just put the new head on?

Kent Fedor

Reply to
Kent Fedor

What engine? 3.0 or 3.8?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Are you sure it was the valves? Did you pull both heads? The 3.8 has been known to shear off a cam gear key on one side. The OHV 3.0 won't do that.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

And neither will the 3.8. It's not a OHC engine, it's OHV just like the 3.0.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

It has the 3.0 Kent Fedor

Reply to
Kent Fedor

Its rare to have that happen on a 3.0. BUT, you may have had a head bolt fail. Where all the head bolts intact when you pulled it off? What did the plugs look like? I would pull both heads and check them. Inspect the bores. Any water in the oil? A used complete 3.0 could be had from $100 to $300. I have got a spare 3.0 and AX4S in case mine goes belly up.

Bob

-
Reply to
Bob Urz