Taurus Radio

I have a 97 Taurus with the oval radio faceplate. I want to put in an aftermarket (conventional shaped) cd player in the dash. I have two questions.

  1. How do you get the faceplate off ? I see four holes in it, do you insert something in there ? If so, How deep can you go without wrecking something ?

  1. Is there a good aftermarket faceplate, so I can install a regular sized cd player ?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Mike

  1. Use an official Ford radio removal tool or four nails. Remove the A/C knobs, insert the nails in the holes, push the nails outward to release the radio latch. The whole assembly slides out.
  2. A faceplate that accomodates aftermarket radios is available from Radio Shack as a special order item.
Reply to
Bob

Thanks, It worked as you said.

Reply to
Mike

Try here:

But it's still not real easy. Your Taurus radio is in the rear of the car, the dash part is only a remote controller, so you will have to run the antenna lead, and speaker leads... look at the kits and you will see the bundle of cables to be run to the back of the car.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

too...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

This assumes it's MANUAL climate control. If you have automatic climate control, you are out of luck. There are no adapters out there for that.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

============= Consider adding a CD changer to that thing. The kit is expensive and a PIA to install.

Reply to
Scott M

Hey on that changer issue, does anyone know where the changer mounts in a GL wagon ('97 in this case)? The car already has the CD changer control head installed. Is there anything more to do besides just plug it in to the car?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Mike, Now that you have the old radio. please take a look at it. Can you unbolt the radio itself?? My (7 Wagon the FM side keeps losing lock so it pops in and out unless I am sitting right next to the station.

The CD changer on the wagon is located in the rear right hand side in the cargo area.. Hope that helps

Reply to
Joe Smucker

Are all the cables/plugs for the changer in place for a plug-n-play installation? Thanks.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

In news:alt.autos.ford, trainfan1 posted on Mon, 03 May 2004 16:57:07 -0400:

On my '98 Sable, I'm planning on getting one of those hard drive units for the car. I already have my whole CD collection ripped to MP3 on my computer's hard drive. The unit comes with a hot swap port for your computer which you install in a 5.25" drive bay. Slide the drive in, and copy the files as if it's another drive in your system. Pull it out and slide it in the car. Your whole CD collection on the road with you. And this one connects in such a way that you can control it with your regular factory radio buttons. No extra remote control required, which is great.

My goal is to keep the factory look as much as possible. I want to change out all the speakers in the doors and on the rear deck, as well as adding some subwoofers to the trunk. Should make for a nice setup that will hopefully not look too attractive to thieves.

Reply to
Damaeus