Taurus tires

I must replace the tires on a 1999 Taurus. My wife drives this car to/from work year round, including in Midwest (Iowa) winters. The four tires that I am considering are the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred or TripleTread, or the Michelin Hydroedge or Agility. Does anyone have experience with these tires? Any other recommendations? Thanks, ELD

Reply to
ELD

BF Goodrich Winter Slalom. It's a snow tire, but I have been having consistant long-term satisfaction for year-round driving for six years and two sets, getting ready for the third(about 50,000 mi. per set). A great snow tire, they are quiet and long-wearing on dry roads, with excellent wet traction(boat launches & rain), and attractively priced. They are going on our Accord this year, too.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"ELD" wrote in news:909ud.108788$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

tirerack.com has reviews for several tires. I have Goodyear Assurance ComfortTreds myself, and I like them. I haven't had an opportunity to test snow traction, but all other attributes have been good so far. They are noticeably better than the Goodyear Regatta 2, IMO.

Rodney

Reply to
Rodney

Now I have to retract all the above... the Winter Slalom has been discontinued... much to the tire dealer's dismay!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I can tell you one tire to avoid, and one to try. I have a 2000 Taurus, essentially the same vehicle. I had a set of Bridgestones on it, and they were horrid. They developed a vibration within 8k miles. The dealer even replaced two under warranty after trying over and over to balance them.

I finally bought some Michelin Pilot XGT +4's and they're incredible. I've never been more satisfied with tires. I've had them for about 5k miles so far and can't believe how quiet, smooth and stable they are.

Reply to
CJB