Timing Belt

A question about timing belts. I have a 98 Ford Escort with 127000 miles. My mechanic has inspected the timing belt several times and says its fine and does not need replacment. How long do they normally last? I do not want it to go unexpectedly.

John

Reply to
John Perry

They break even why they look good.

Usually, car makers recommend replacing timing belts between 60 and 100k mi. So yours is way overdue.

Chances are that you will be replacing it soon. It is much bette to replace it before it breaks than after.

Replace it now (unless it was replaced recently).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

if i was you my friend i would change that belt never mind wat the mechanic says he might be trying to get some money off you because it is a big job they should be changed every 60000 miles

lee

Reply to
lee19784

I made the app to get the timing belt changed. Thank you for the advice.

Reply to
John Perry

If it's anything like my timing belt in my '95 Escort, then it's not that big a job. Remove the front passenger side front wheel. Take the plastic, inner fender out (it's easy) and now you have a good view of the engine. You will need a second scissors jack to support the engine while you remove the engine mount (also easy). Take the accessory belts off and you're already looking straight at the timing belt cover. It comes off easy. You might want to have a service manual to tell you what timing marks end up where when you put the new belt on. You're also faced with the decision on whether you want to expand the job to replace the water pump and hoses as general maintenance. Think about that. I had that timing belt idler pulley go bad on me once. If it's just the belt, I can do the job in 3 hours and I don't really work that fast. Good Luck, Scott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
SSaund9084

Just a little more advice. Going by my '95's experience. Advance Auto carries the remanufactured water pump at a good price but it didn't include the idler pulley. They didn't even have a part number for it. They said it was a "dealer item" and to go to my local Ford dealer to get one. It was expensive, about $90. I later saw a motorcraft water pump on Ebay, new in the box WITH the pulley for $24. If you go this route, maybe give ebay a quick look first. Scott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
SSaund9084

I had it replaced at a shop. They charged me $155 for parts and labor. The belt looks new but the mechanic said they can go even if they look good.

John

Reply to
John Perry