Too many dealers

It's no designed to help the insured.

So what is your point?

I did see you went from "life insurance" to "simple life insurance."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Right, which means that the insurance company expects to spend less than

75% of the insurance contract cost in payments. Which means that, on average, right off the bat, the purchaser of the insurance contract is out 25%. Of course, the insurance company expects to make money on the deal, so the expected payout is less, which indicates that the extended service plans (the insurance) is not that valuable, on average.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

More accurately, that wouldn't be covered another another manufacturer program, like a recall.

More accurately, if you are practical and will have $750 in the bank at the end of regular warranty or a credit card with a low APR, it's a money loser, assuming you don't sell the vehicle first and it doesn't get destroyed.

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Yep - I've read thru the procedure in the FSM a couple of times, and I've been into certain areas of the dash already for other things, so I know what to expect. I realize it won't be fun at all, but I also shudder to think of the problems a careless tech could leave behind and the endless loop of trying to get the problems fixed until I give up and re-do it myself (in which case, I might as well do it myself to begin with). BTDT. :)

Bill Putney

Buicks and an 07 Hyundai Sonata. My '91 Regal had one potentially costly repair under warranty. Out of warranty, a water pump at 80k, a gas tank at

110,000. .I traded it last September with 150,000 miles and it still had the original exhaust. Of course, normal maintenance like brakes and a set of rotors at some point.

My '97 leSabre was back to the shop only once for a warranty repair (wiper motor) and when I traded it at 97,000 miles the only repairs at that point was brakes, serpentine belt. My '01 LeSabre has needed a few things but still not al that much $$$. The rear window lifts, but I did not replace them, a wheel bearing, front rotors were are few hundred. Needed tranny work, but that was far out of regular or extended warranty time. At 110,000 I put in new plugs, wires and a coil. I expect to keep that car for another

5 years or more. Hyundai only has 17,000 miles and has not been back to the dealer for anything so far.

Anything mechanical eventually will wear out and need repair. You have to be financially prepared and aware of that. If you save just a few bucks, say $20 a month, you can cover most costly repairs when they do come up. If you drive 15,000 miles a year, after 4 years you will have no serious repairs not covered and $1000 in the bank. You may or may not ever need that, making it available for other uses. The other choice is to pay that $20 a month more in your car payment for an extended warranty and have paid out $1000 that you will never see again even if you never need a repair. Willing to take the risk and self insure?

In my case, I put 25,000 miles a year so the warranty runs out after 4 years. At about that time the car is replaced and it becomes my wife's car and gets

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
philthy

What belt? Mine has a chain. The 3.3 engine is quite nice from what I've seen so far.

Keep up man, the world is passing you by. Hyundai has come a very long way from the rust buckets of 1986.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In support, yes you can save a lot of money with DIY.. I am now pulling the evaporator core out of my 97 Dodge full sized van. I read the procedure in the cheapo Chilton and also in AllData. But there is more to it than that. It doesnt just "angle out of the engine compartment". Now I will start taking off crap until I get it out. No telling how far that will have to go. Still, I dont need the van much,and it can sit there until I am good and finished.

Reply to
<HLS

Oye! Where to start? First off, Edwin's Hyundai does not have a timing belt - it has a timing chain. Next, if it did have a belt and the belt broke within the recommended change interval, Hyundai most certainly would apply whatever warranty was in force at the time.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, I did. I wanted to separate all the gobbledegook insurance tullprat from the simple insurance situation.

An annuity MAY pay you back your capital and more, and may not. In the latest AARP, it warns retirees against variable annuities.

The insurance companies WILL make money. We have both already accepted that.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Even the new 4 cylinders are getting away from the belt. As I said, get with the times. A year ago I laughed at people buying Hyundai, then I took a look. I was astonished at how far they've come and ended up buying one. Two weeks ago I went to lunch with a fellow that owns a Sebring, Camry, Corvette. After riding in my Sonata, he's heading out to the Hyundai dealer also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That sound reasonable. There is a reason you should change the belt, change the oil, and do regular maintenance. Ignoring it is similar to ignoring any rules, you pay in the end, often dearly. Just like crossing the street on a red light, you may make it, you may get run over, but you have been told the right way to cross at some point.

As an owner of an expensive item, reading the manual and following the instructions is always a good idea.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's worth checking into things instead of just listening to people. Yes - Hyundai will tell you to pound salt if your timing belt breaks at 70K - but that's because the owner's manual very clearly requires it to be changed at

60K. Nothing wrong with that. That's not what you posted below though. They don't regularly break at 70K either. They've been known to regularly go over 100K. Regardless, this is not unique to Hyundai. Every manufacturer with an interference engine had the same requirements. That said - many if not all of Hyundai's engines use chains now instead of belts.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
philthy

First off, it was built by Americans in an American plant with a growing content of American made parts.

As for those that won't touch then for repairs, 40 years ago a few shops didn't have metric wrenches. Now, it seems most of them actually do. I don't expect the repairs to be any more than any other mainstream automobile. I got shafted by Buick enough so I've prepared my sphincter muscle. If my Buick was not falling apart in the driveway, I'd have another right next to it.

As for the troops, I have family members in Iraq and I do support all of them. When you can't make sound logical arguments in a debate you have to resort to name calling like that? You should be ashamed of yourself and your false patriotism.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski