Too many dealers

LOL, I *did* go back on the thread. I did get you to admit there was at least "casual contributing." Just playing around (and happen to be prone to hypoglycemia so I couldn't resist). Sounds like in addition to paramedic, you are interested in law.

Reply to
F.H.

Maybe you intended the misquote that you did, *or* you didn't understand his precise meaning. He did use the word "causal" and not "casual" - different meaning altogether. (If your misquote was intentional to be funny or something, then ignore this.)

Bill Putney

What you say about diabetic shock is undoubtedly true. However the matter under discussion was that the hospital was unwilling to admit her without cash up front. This, in spite of the fact that the lady had travel insurance that included medical.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Reply to
philthy

No - because neither one of us know if there was. I stuck to one point and one point only. Mine was nothing more than a clarification that diabetic shock is not trauma induced. You tried to get me to say something else, but as I said, everything else is irrelevant.

Just playing around (and happen to be

Only in staying away from the penalties of it...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Damn - I hate it when a thread gets yanked back to its original intent. Don't you know you can give a person whiplash like that Steve?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't think we should let the thread die...., just yet. There's more milk for sure. Maybe later.

Reply to
F.H.

Heh, that was *my* plan. I guess its dead now. (famous last words)

Reply to
F.H.

Changing the subject is a well known trick of argument.

Want a reference? "Straight and Crooked Thinking" by Robert H, Thouless. Pan Books. Sorry, no ISBN, my copy is too old for that.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Maybe they are required to treat everybody, but when someone with insurance shows up (presumably a legal resident), the hospital calls the insurance co., which then says "We're not paying" or "We will pay only $x", and the person cannot afford to pay. So what does s/he do? Maybe choose between treatment and bankruptcy. My wife spoke to somebody in the supermarket checkout line this week who was considering filing for bankruptcy because of the family's medical bills.

One man a year or two back decided to check up on some of the items on the hospital bills that had led to the loss of house. $78.xx for a "mucus retrieval kit" turned out to be for a box of Kleenex.

In the case of an illegal immigrant, the hospital may simply have to write off the debt. Same goes for anyone (even a legal resident) who gives a false address or SSN, I guess.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The hearings on the recent bankruptcy reform legislation (Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention & Consumer Protection Act of 2005) that was pushed through by lobbyists for the credit industry were televised. In a memorable exchange, a democrat claimed that according to statistics nearly 45% of bankruptcies were caused by medical bills. Senator Hatch of Utah countered that those statistics were incorrect. The actual percentage of bankruptcies caused by medical bills was *only* 25%.

Compassionate conservatism in action. Casualties "out of sight, out of mind."

Reply to
F.H.

News item: (June 27th, 2007)

Prosecutors filed civil complaints on Tuesday accusing two hospitals and a transportation services firm of dumping homeless patients in downtown Los Angeles, including one highly publicized case in which a paraplegic man wearing a colostomy bag was found crawling in a gutter near a skid row park in February.

The complaints by the L.A. city attorney's office against Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Feliz and Methodist Hospital in Arcadia are related to four separate incidents of alleged patient dumping ? two by each hospital ? over a 14-month period.

This sounds like a case of "crooked thinking."

I'm afraid to ask what your ideas are for the "TRULY poor." Firing squad?

Reply to
F.H.

He didn't say they wouldn't treat her - he said they wouldn't admit her. It's the same thing for illegal aliens. They won't admit them either without some $$$$.

Reply to
Joe

If they're here illegally, and they are able to travel (i.e. non-emergency), transport them to a hospital of their home nation, and add them to the list of illegals that are to be prosecuted if they show up here again in an illegal status. If it's an emergency, treat them, get them well enough to travel, transport them home, bill their home nation, and add them to the list of illegals that are to be prosecuted if they show up here again in an illegal status.. But don't bump up the bills of legal citizens to pay for their stealing the services that we pay for.

Bill Putney

What's wrong with cars built in Germany or Austria, for example?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Free at the point of use, as the British NHS puts it.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Too expensive over here in NA. That's why many of them sold here, such as VW, BMW, Mercedes, are built in NAFTA.

Reply to
who

I just never really cared much for them. Plus the high cost.

Reply to
80 Knight