Towing with the Edge

Anyone tow a boat or other small trailer with the Edge? with factory or after market hitch? How is ground clearance with the aftermarket hitch if you have one?

Thanks

Reply to
lil abner

Good question! We have a 2010 Black Edge Limited and I have wondered about towing. Love the vehicle even though it is a gas hog. Not even close to the EPA sticker.

Reply to
aRKay

Yeah the gas mileage is about the same as the 5.4 F 150. I don't understand how burning more fuel makes for lower emissions. The gearing on this thing is longer than a diesel. 75 is less than 2000 rpm. It ought to get 35 mpg, you would think, on the level. It really has to kick down to pull any hill. I bet it would get better mileage with lower gears.

Reply to
lil abner

Go to your dealer and get a free copy of the "Towing Guide Book," WBMA.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You don't need to go to the dealer. Towing Guides are available at:

The Edge specific inforamtion is at:

Vehicle Line EDGE/MKX Towing Class Light-Duty Medium-Duty Class I Class II Max. Gross Trailer Wt. (Lbs.) 2,000 3,500(a) Max. Tongue Load (Lbs.) 200 350 (a) Tow rating reduced to 2,000 lbs. when ordered with 22" wheels and tires.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Most people confuse fuel economy with tailpipe emissions.... A common mistake so no fault, no foul, I guess...

Several factors combine to make exhaust cleaner even though we wind up burning more fuel to achieve it...

To reduce hydrocarbon emissions and carbon monoxide emissions, the engineers have resorted to running mixtures on the lean side. This reduces the power output of the power stroke and that means we need to open the throttle wider to achieve the same work that a "dirty" engine would do... Even though we have opened the throttle wider, the mixture is still lean and hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide levels are low enough that the catalytic converter can deal with them without going into meltdown....

Another gas mileage killer is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system.. As combustion temperatures pass (caution, memory thing happening) about 1200 degrees F or so, the combustion event starts to do some different things... If we keep combustion temperatures lower, we don't form oxides of nitrogen. A we allow combustion temps to rise, NOx becomes a very real problem... So... when we operate the engine at higher power output levels, we need to do something to reduce the temperature of the combustion events... Enter the EGR valve. Exhaust gases are considered "inert" .. we can dilute the working fluid in the combustion chamber with spent exhaust gases without making the mixture richer or leaner. Since we will react a smaller amount of working fluid (the exhaust gases taking the place of reactable constituents), combustion temps will remain below the level where NOx can for or at least keep it in a range where it can be either acceptabloe or easily dealt with in a catalytic converter. Once again, diluting the working fluid makes us open the throttel more to schieve the same work as the dirty engine.

But, the net result is that tailpipe emissions of the really harmful components are reduced or eliminated.

The technology is imperfect but then these engines are imperfect as well...

For some interesting insights, there are many presentations on the web regarding the EcoBoost engine (featuring direct gasoline injection - the fuel injectors inject fuel directly into the cylinder -and twin turbochargers). You might also check out the new 6.2 liter gasoline engine which has two spark plugs per cylinder - unlike the older dual plug 2.3, these plugs BOTH fire ALL THE TIME.

If you're a real glutton for punishment the nes 6.7 liter diesel is more complex than anything Ford has had before.. With three new engines coming on line within a year of each other, this is going to be a hell of a ride for the dealer techs...

Reply to
Jim Warman