Two good reasons to go MacIntosh

I thought you said Apple makes "excellent software". Quicktime is not excellent software. I rank it just one notch above Real Networks junk. And I thought the internet standard for video would be MPEG.

Reply to
Bill 2

The internet standard for video IS mpeg. Not would be.

Reply to
Mark

Just curious: why do you rate Real player (and QT) "junk"?

And what is much better?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Because they latch into the system and try to seize control, and have shitty interfaces.

Media player 6.

Reply to
Bill 2

Most of the media content I've seen is either Real or WMA. I don't have Quicktime on my PC and it's been years since I've hit a site that requires it. I think you're mistaken about it being "*the* Internet standard"

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I dunno...maybe not Sometimes one of them crashes! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Exactly. There are several competiting standards. Although your need for Quicktime does not sound like a Internet requirement, but one imposed by your camera manufacturer. If you didn't have the camera, you likely wouldn't need Qucktime.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

*chuckle*
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

well now what is the discusion thread? something to do with microsoft and apples not exactly apples and oranges but you may be able to catch the drift as they say

Reply to
Frank Ross

Well, while some spyware does that, it is not a defining characteristic of spyware. Perhaps one could reasonably put it in the broader category of "malware", but even that might be a stretch. Think of what the names "spyware" and "malware" mean in their pure sense, and I think you'll see what I mean. Does it fit into the category of "annoying"? Absolutely!

To get rid of it, you have to edit the registry - but the first time after that that you watch a video that uses QT - there it is again loading itself at every startup.

Bill Putney

I agree - RP is just about as bad as QT in that regard.

Bill Putney

But about the same percentage of digicam shoppers will bother to find out if they can only be used with QT as the percentage of car shoppers that will bother to find out if the cams are belt, chain, or gear driven

- important things to know, but, right or wrong, usually not a factor in the buying decision.

Bill Putney

I agree with James. I don't use QuickTime, but a buddy of mine uses it for picture viewing and I think it's awful for that use. Nero is far superior.

Reply to
StingRay

Speaking of that, did you know that there were computers in the Graden of Eden? Yep - Eve had an Apple in one hand and a Wang in the other. (That joke won't mean anything to the younger crowd, but the older people here will get it.)

Bill Putney

It wasn't quite that difficult for me. I used the QuickTime settings applet in Windows Control Panel, went to the Browser Plug-in section, unchecked QuickTime system tray icon, and I'm done.

Reply to
cloudster

I'll say! My Grampa says Wang! and peckerwood. He's 80

Reply to
David

...are ya ready boots?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

start walkin'!

Yeah - about the same era.

Bill Putney

Yeah - but does he know what a Wang computer is?

Bill Putney

Hmmm - I just learned something. And they said that was impossible!

Bill Putney