Valve rattle?

I have an automatic Ford Escort ZX2 '98, 91.000 miles. I am having this rattle-like noise as I drive, usually it occurs on acceleration or when driving uphill. What can cause this noise/rat-a-tat-tat-rattle/pinging? How much is it to fix at the car repair? Thanks!

Reply to
Nilson

Clean the MAF, change the fuel filter and plugs. It can be caused by lean mixture, EGR not functioning correctly, timing incorrect, engine overheating.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Or maybe he just has a loose converter shield that rattles as he accelerates. Cost=0

Reply to
Al Bundy